It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Weigh in...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Yeh he's bigger than his friend Marley who is a white malamute/gsd mix and the same age which doesn't make sense lol! Im glad he is going to be a big boy!
Back to top Go down
muska
Puppy
Puppy
muska

Male Join date : 2011-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 7:01 am

Thiago is 9months now and weighs 25.5kg which is 56.1lbs.
at what age do huskys start to fill out?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:11 pm

muska wrote:
up till 2yrs, you have some time but at 56lbs he is BIG for his age.

Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Niko weighed in at 82lbs when he was at the shelter, and is now 76. But he's allegedly a mix, and is gigantic for a 'normal' husky. Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:12 pm

jbealer wrote:
muska wrote:

I would say they can keep filling out till 3 years, some finish earlier though. My boy didn't finish filling out until about the 2.5-3 year mark.

Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 pm

in the far right picture of Thiago's signature, he looks a little mal-ish to me. Could be why he is so large for the age
Back to top Go down
muska
Puppy
Puppy
muska

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 am

Huskyluv wrote:
jbealer wrote:
muska wrote:

I would say they can keep filling out till 3 years, some finish earlier though. My boy didn't finish filling out until about the 2.5-3 year mark.

oh cool didnt know that Smile
was just wondering because he seems quite slim compered to his husky playmates.

yeah he has a little, Dad has 1/4 malamute and Mum is purebred husky
the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 Untitl10
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 5:52 pm

dad's a handsome guy! Pretty parents. explains Thiago's good looks Wink
Back to top Go down
muska
Puppy
Puppy
muska

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 3:13 am

haha yea he is ae thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
4BangenRange
Puppy
Puppy
4BangenRange

Male Join date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:17 am

Well weighed Josie last night...... She gained 2 pounds!!! :o She came in at 65!!! How or where she gained it im clueless. Still want to get her down to 60 pounds tho.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:24 am

Thiago is very handsome! And Josie sounds to be a big girl! I'm sure it's mostly fur though Wink

We'll see what Indy will weigh in at tomorrow, he's supposed to have his neuter scheduled. Fingers and paws crossed that all goes well! He's a big boy, I'm estimating around 50-55 lbs.
Back to top Go down
Lainaloo
Teenager
Teenager
Lainaloo

Female Join date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 am

at 5.5 months Atka was 37lbs. He is now 6 months old and probably at 40 lbs. I weigh him on my scale while holding him so I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/laina.dotson
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:16 pm

muska wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:
jbealer wrote:
muska wrote:

oh cool didnt know that Smile
was just wondering because he seems quite slim compered to his husky playmates.

yeah he has a little, Dad has 1/4 malamute and Mum is purebred husky
the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 Untitl10

Whoa! Dad looks almost exactly like my Chili except for Chili's one blue eye! Crazy!
And yes, your pup is very handsome!!
Back to top Go down
KitR
Puppy
Puppy
KitR

Female Join date : 2012-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 pm

I took Alice in to the vet last night to get weighed so we'd have the right dose of heartworm treatment. She's about 11 months now and only 37 pounds, which is up only 2 pounds from the 35 pounds she weighed when we adopted her.

The vet suggested upping her from 2 1/2 cups of TOTW to 3 cups/day for three weeks to see if we can get her to 40 pounds. I'm not sure how much she should really weigh at this point, but her hips are boney, so if nothing else, getting her to the point that they don't stick out is probably a good goal.

Besides increasing her kibble (we want to eventually switch to raw, but don't have freezer storage space in the current house we rent), any other ideas for helping her put on the pounds?
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Christine, can you feel her ribs distinctly? If you don't feel any fat over them - she does need some weight. At the rescue, we do a couple of weeks of "satin balls" - a high calorie treat that adds about a days extra calories per day. You can google the recipe - it has raw beef, fiber 1 cereal, etc.

However - it puts on weight fast, though and I see now that she's 11 months so you'll want to slowly put on weight. You can try giving her wholesome homemade treats in addition to the food. I make ours with 1 1/2 cups rice flour, 2 eggs, 1 cup pumpkin, 1/4 cup salmon oil and 3 cups oatmeal - bake for 15 minutes as a sheet cake and cut it up. Figure out how many calories she gets now and add to it. Costco also has Yummy Chummies treats right now - a 2 lb bag for the price of their 4 oz bags - so you can try that too. Work it into a training routine.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Back on topic - Chili is back up to 73 lbs. Must be the Yummy Chummies. Wink
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Took the kids to the vet on Friday for a vaccination and got them each weighed.

Dakota - 42 lbs

Demon - 59 Shocked damn boy must like his figure because getting him to gain weight seems impossible!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Christine:
That's what Bodhi weighed when I got him.
I thought he was skinny, but the vet said he wasn't.
We fed him 3 cups of TOTW a day then.
He gained six lbs.
Now we are still feeding 3 cups, but cutting back.
It's probably less.
Back to top Go down
KitR
Puppy
Puppy
KitR

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Michael, that's good to know! 3 cups seems like a lot to me, but she is way more active than our coonhound, so it may be what she needs until we can get her up to a better weight.

The vet tech I spoke to also pointed out that it is easier to adjust for weight loss than to keep having to put weight on her.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Christine, it is typical for sibes to be on the thin side at that age too, something some vets don't really account for. My sibe was pretty lanky when we adopted him at 2 yrs of age and the vets told us to up his food but he filled out when he was ready to fill out and not a moment before. Wink

In addition to satin balls for bulking up, you could also try a kibble based on heavier meat if you're not already on one. I don't know which TOTW formula you're feeding but formulas based on lamb and beef tend to have more calories and can put weight on faster than the formulas based on lighter foods such as fish and duck.

Puppy
Puppy
KitR

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Thank you Val! I don't know how many huskies our vet sees, although there seem to be quite a few in our area.

I think right now we're on the High Prairie formula (buffalo and chicken), but we usually rotate through all the flavors as we buy new bags. I'll stick to that one and the lamb version for a while here and see if that helps. I'm not opposed to switching her over to another kibble, although we had tried slowly adding some EVO in for the extra protein, and that didn't agree with her tummy.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:20 pm

KitR wrote:
I took Alice in to the vet last night to get weighed so we'd have the right dose of heartworm treatment. She's about 11 months now and only 37 pounds, which is up only 2 pounds from the 35 pounds she weighed when we adopted her.

The vet suggested upping her from 2 1/2 cups of TOTW to 3 cups/day for three weeks to see if we can get her to 40 pounds. I'm not sure how much she should really weigh at this point, but her hips are boney, so if nothing else, getting her to the point that they don't stick out is probably a good goal.

Besides increasing her kibble (we want to eventually switch to raw, but don't have freezer storage space in the current house we rent), any other ideas for helping her put on the pounds?

MY Husky only weight 31 lbs when we adopted him at the age of 9 months.

He is now 18 months and weights about 50lbs.

He averages eating about 2 1/2 cups a day some days less..
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:49 pm

KitR wrote:
Thank you Val! I don't know how many huskies our vet sees, although there seem to be quite a few in our area.

I think right now we're on the High Prairie formula (buffalo and chicken), but we usually rotate through all the flavors as we buy new bags. I'll stick to that one and the lamb version for a while here and see if that helps. I'm not opposed to switching her over to another kibble, although we had tried slowly adding some EVO in for the extra protein, and that didn't agree with her tummy.

You could stick with the High Prairie and their lamb based formulas for now as you said and maybe just supplement her diet with satin balls, meaty treats (like lamb, beef, and/or liver treats) rather than lighter no or low meat content treats (like biscuits, grain or vegetable based treats), and even using a "complete food" (such as Stella & Chewy's patties or Natural Balance meat rolls) broken up into smaller pieces as a treat can give her an extra calorie boost. When our boy was younger and lost some weight we started using the complete Natural Balance Lamb meat rolls for training instead of the low calorie training treats we'd typically use and his weight bounced back rather quickly (he'd regained the lost weight and gained more by the time he was weighed again a month later). The Natural Balance rolls may not be the best food out there but I am so happy with them that I still use them as treats to this day. Smile

Newborn
Newborn
Ant&Lisa

Male Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 7:07 pm

nanook was over 40 kilos (2.2k to a pound), when he was neutered a few months back..
He is quite big, but pretty solid, its like trying to hang on to a freight train at times..

He gets fed the same measured amount every day, unless he does not eat it, as he does sometimes..
Back to top Go down
KitR
Puppy
Puppy
KitR

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Thank you for the information Val and Linda! Sorry I got the thread off track a bit Smile

I need to pick up a new bag of food today, so I'll check out what other good meaty treats I can get to beef Alice up. I'll give TOTW another few weeks here before switching kibble as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

Weigh in...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 15 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next