It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dasuquin for the win!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Dasuquin for the win!  Empty
PostSubject: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptySun Sep 22, 2024 2:14 pm

Scheduled for knee replacement late October. For the party several weeks, the knee has been most problematic. Swelling is back, very stiff, painful behind knee, upper calf and lower hamstrings. Mostly relegated to sitting on my butt and rotting.

Welp. A little story. Several years ago, Ami was begginning to slow down, not climb up on the couch or bed. Vet suggested a product called Dasuquin. I was skeptical, in general not a fan of supplements. But. Tried to have an open mind, bought the very expensive bottle to give it a 2 month trial. Welp. After 2 doses, the big boy was zooming again, up on the couch, the bed. Bit the bullet and continued with it. Still a bit skeptical - coincidence?

Fast forward to last month. Josh asked what he could do for Archer - seems like his hips really bothering him. I gave him the end of a bottle since I had a spare and said give it a try. Several days later, Josh reports Archer is back to his old self.

Hmmm... Reproducible results?

There is a human form by same manufacturer: Cosamin ASU. My knee has been worse than ever past few weeks. Decided to gamble 30 bucks ( human is cheaper than dog)

Welp. After 24 hours, 3 capsules, I went out to wrestle with the water bags for pool closing. I was half way up the hill to the pool when i suddenly realized i was walking normally!!! Swelling way down ( i pee'd out 2 pounds of water in 24 hours.) most of the stiffness gone and pain in knee much reduced and mostly limited to just the joint line rather than calf, lower hamstrings.

Curious whether this will continue as i continue to take it.

So for anyone curious, Cosamin comes in a couple of formulations. From various research, i believe it is the ASU (avocado soybean unsaponifiable) that is responsible.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptyMon Sep 23, 2024 9:43 am

I've given Kye Dasuquin for years for his HD and had good luck with it. My mom actually used to take Cosamin until it got too expensive (this was before you could get it online for considerably cheaper) It seemed to help her hips. She should probably go back to taking it now that we can price shop a bit more.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptyMon Sep 23, 2024 11:28 am

I gave Sasha Dasuquin for a couple of years and it helped. In her case, it was a matter of just loosing muscle mass .... vet was no help.

I'm seeing something odd with Sasha where she'll stand at the top of the steps like she's afraid to go down ... it's much worse at night than during the day and I'm thinking it might just be failing vision. I have a vet appt for her and Avalanche next month so I think I'll be bringing it up then. (( Hand surgery this Friday and then recovery ... not something I'm anticipation! ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptyMon Sep 23, 2024 11:38 am

Do that! I got it from Amazon with a subscribe and save with 4 other items, a bottle of 90 cost me 21 and change. I'm still improving by the day, so much so t that I'm suspicious there maybe some illicit steroid in there - the effect is that pronounced!

All - I've forgotten the name but there is an eye thing in dogs where night vision goes first. Then there is dementia - fairly certain Z'ev had dementia at the end. He was sweet though, not really a problem. The last month or two, we would sit at the kitchen window and watch as he repeatedly walked around the house, doing laps, frequently carrying a bone. Every 5 minutes or so, he'd come from the west, headed east and go through the eastern gate, bone in mouth, with his gimpy, weird things leg gait.

And yeah surgical recovery. My mouth went quite well, the worst first two days were migrated by the steroid they put in the IV, the next few were "didn't get behind on the Tylenol and a CBD gummy in the evening (i think the CBD works better on nerve pain than arthritis pain, just my experience)

Hope your hand goes well. Icing is a big help initially and after a few days, heat will be really helpful.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptyMon Sep 23, 2024 6:58 pm

Sigh. Even though I'm walking normally, things are not perfect by any means. Went to the gym for the first time in a hundred years. Expecting to use a stationary bike. Not gonna happen. Trying to bring the peddle up on the upstroke excruciatingly painful. My screech got the attention of several in the gym, I'm sorry to say. Even tried the recumbent bike and just as bad. And i had the seat set so i could barely touch the pedal on the downstroke. Good news, though. I can use the elliptical. Which is weird cause years ago, no way could i use an elliptical machine - made me seasick🥰
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptyMon Sep 23, 2024 9:38 pm

I'm trying to get some things done between now and Friday (actually Thursday) I managed to get the recumbent bike together and got a mile into nowhere ... pulse was okay, breathing was okay (not sure about o2?) but legs were a little wobbly when I got off. And with no one else here, I'll stop at "a little wobbly" for the time being.

Started off on its lowest setting and didn't do much ... guess I need to work up to it (work up to what?!)

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptyTue Sep 24, 2024 3:41 am

Yeah, Al. For us old folks, starting slowly is a good thing. Quite possibly, being wobbly means you did too much. The sore muscles from exercising won't even declare themselves for 2 or 3 days and then it takes forever for it to subside. Hope your legs recovery quickly. My knee was really sore when i got home but icing settled that down. Still not as comfortable as when i left the house for the gym but a whole lot better. Do you have to stay overnight by in the hospital for your hand or is it day surgery?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptyTue Sep 24, 2024 9:45 am

Kenzi doesn't like to go down the back steps anymore either. For her it's eyes, dementia, and weakness in the legs that make her think she's going to fall. I make her go anyway. At least I've gotten her to not launch herself like a dock diving dog now. She would stand at the top and whine and take one step, then back up to abort the mission, stare at it then take that one step again only to back out repeatedly until her legs were more tired from trying to back up than they would be if she had just gone down. And if you forced her then she would launch like she was jumping off a dock. Being a two-story flight of stairs I'm surprised she didn't break something the couple times she tried that.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptyTue Sep 24, 2024 11:40 am

@amymeme Strictly day surgery. Not sure I could afford it if it weren't. The least expensive room I see if $50 (stayed there one time, not again ... had to fight little critters for the bed!) but the one closest to the hospital is $277 for a night and that's way beyond my "beer pocketbook"

@TwisterII After dark Sky won't even try by herself. If I go out and guide her down she's okay but I've seen her miss a step even following my voice.

Silly puppy wants to play and the 'adults' are telling her something that resembles 'get bent!!'

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  EmptyTue Sep 24, 2024 1:52 pm

@aljones sound like PRA progressive retina atrophy. Usually starts as either problems with tracking or depth perception then progresses to low light blindness and eventually turns to total blindness. Its a very known problem in husky and gsds and cattle dogs and dogs with the merle gene.

I still have shadow on the dasaquin from the vet. Worked great until it didnt do enough. Hes still on it just also on librela, carprophen, gabapentin and amantadine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dasuquin for the win!    Dasuquin for the win!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Dasuquin for the win!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-