It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Weigh in...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:32 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:
Congrats and keep up the good work. Our boy finally lost the last pound we've been working to get off, he's finally back down to his ideal weight of 55 lbs! So happy! Very Happy

Awesome! Congrats! How much was he weighing before?

He topped out at 59 lbs last year and I've been trying to get the few extra pounds off him for over a year. Not huge but I try hard to keep them in good shape. Smile

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 6:03 pm

55 is the perfect weight. Mya was 55lbs before she got spayed. At this point I'll be VERY happy if we get her down to 60lbs. She's currently at 68lbs. That's going to take a while I'm sure! =(
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Aww, poor Mya. They love their food, don't they? Razz Keep at it, you'll get there eventually and I know it's hard but laying off the treats and people food is a huge help if she gets those. Don't let her guilt you into feeding more food, it's hard to resist those begging eyes and the incessant whining but stay strong!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Aww, poor Mya. They love their food, don't they? Razz Keep at it, you'll get there eventually and I know it's hard but laying off the treats and people food is a huge help if she gets those. Don't let her guilt you into feeding more food, it's hard to resist those begging eyes and the incessant whining but stay strong!

You're so right!!!! I give her half a cup of food in the morning and half at night and she stays licking the bowl. She begs for ANYTHING that we eat and the more I tell her no the more she wooo's...lol. It breaks my heart =( She does make me feel so guilty! The guilt works more on my husband though. He tells her "no baby, sorry, mommy said that I can't give it to you" and she looks straight at me. Horrible!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
"I give her half a cup of food in the morning and half at night "

One cup a day tho is that enough to provide the needed daily nutrition?
That's all that Hailey gets Smile Depends on the food quality and exercise level of each dog. Mine will probably start to get a little more when we get the fenced in yard Smile

the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Koda wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:
"I give her half a cup of food in the morning and half at night "

One cup a day tho is that enough to provide the needed daily nutrition?
That's all that Hailey gets Smile Depends on the food quality and exercise level of each dog. Mine will probably start to get a little more when we get the fenced in yard Smile

She eats Blue Buffalo now and she gets walked for about 20-30min in the morning and the same in the evening. On the weekends i try to do it 3 times a day. We run a portion of it, but she tires me out! LOL! I run on the treadmill everyday and do spinning, but on the ground and with her pulling me it's not that easy =(

Should I be feeding her a little more?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 7:25 pm

Oh, and we play at home too!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 7:26 pm

If you're trying to drop her weight, no, I'd say that's about right. Just keep an eye on her. You don't want her dropping pounds too quickly. If she's still hungry, you can try mixing the food with some water to make it mushy. That'll fill her tummy up more without adding calories.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Yep, definitely MUST drop her weight! She lost about 3-4pounds in the past 3/4 months just from changing her food, feeding her less, and walking her for a bit longer. She has about another 8lbs to go =( Great idea, about the wetting the food! I'm going to try that tomorrow morning =)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 1:21 pm

I think a cup a day is plenty, especially on premium kibble. Back when I fed Evo to my 55 lb male he only ate about a cup too. Technically I fed less than a cup but I fed a mix of 3/4 cup of Evo with 1/3 of a can of wet food.

If she's really hungry you could try giving her some carrots and/or green beans. They're fine to give, won't pack on the pounds and will help make her feel fuller. Another suggestion would be raw or dehydrated raw foods mixed in. I feed The Honest Kitchen and once it is rehydrated with water it can double in size depending on the formula. If you compare 1 cup of Evo kibble with 1 cup of rehydrated Honest Kitchen Keen, the Keen is double the size of the Evo yet it has a lot less calories and will make them feel fuller. Same goes for raw food, feeding some raw chicken quarters really helps fill them up without adding too many calories. The adding water to kibble idea is similar, if you let the kibble sit for a while it will swell up.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Finally got Siku weighed again. It's more than I thought she'd be.

10 months old - 44.9lbs
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 9:43 pm

My Mira was 43 @ 5.5 Months .. she is 7 Months I should Takke her In She has a Beautiful Weight I Think Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 2:52 am

my giant girl zoey got weighed the other day

at 4 months, 3 weeks she's 36.1 lbs Shocked
she's so much bigger then embry was!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:

She may not end up being large for a female husky (I saw your concerned thread on HO Wink ).

Some dogs grow faster than others during puppyhood. While no one can say for certain what her adult size will be I don't think her size right now is concerning, I consider it fairly average. She could very well have had her growth spurt already and may just put on the rest much more slowly. Even if she gains another 10-15 lbs that would still put her at a normal weight for an adult female. Smile

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:

Willow weighed in at 33lbs at her 4 month, 2 day check up and I feel like she is still really small. Maybe it's becuase she is always next to my 65lb Dakota all the time. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 12:39 am

Definitely makes me feel better about her weight
because she doesn't look big to me, but everyone we run into say she's
huge for her age when I say she's 4 months they ask if she's Malamute, and when I respond with no she's purebred Siberian Husky they look at me like I don't know my dog :/
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Check ups yesterday with the new vet went well! She commented at their perfect weights Smile

Koda: 60 lbs
Hailey: 45 lbs

Yay! Smile So proud!

Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 2:39 pm

When we got Nikolai (12 weeks ago) he weighed 42 lbs. The vet thought he was "a tad bit skinny" and wanted to see him closer to 50 lbs. So, we've been working pretty hard to put some meat on his bones and when we weighed him again right around New Year's, he was 44.6 lbs. WOOT!!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Just went in the other day...

Mickey: 64lbs (perfect for him)
Cheyenne: 43lbs (up from 37 yay Cheyenne!!)
Mishka: 47lbs
Odin: 53lbs
Seamus: 50lbs Sad He was at 42lbs... Unfortunately he's gained back about 8lbs since his tail amputations. Needs to go back on a diet and get back on his exercise plan.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:25 pm

About a month ago Konrad weighed in at 49.6lbs
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Icon @ 10 Wks was 10.4 She Just Hit 15 wks Old .. She is 22.5 ... Awww My Angel is gettin Fatter !
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Icon @ 10 Wks was 10.4 She Just Hit 15 wks Old .. She is 22.5 ... Awww My Angel is gettin Fatter ! Gixx ( Mal) is Is 79 Lbs @ 8 Months
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 12:21 pm

We did weigh ins this weekend and all three of mine lost weight! Shocked Not quite what I was expecting. Bad mommy. No

Dakota's down to 52 lbs, should be 55 lbs. Bad me.
Faith is down to 5.3 lbs, she should be 6 - 6.5 lbs. Sad
Glory is down to 6 lbs, she should be 6.5 - 7 lbs pale

I feel awful, everyone's losing weight even though I'm feeding them all more than ever before. confused My chi girls are eating more than double their normal portions and still losing. I am planning to have a blood test done on Dakota and Faith either in February or March to see if anything might be off there...just in case.

I feed my dogs so much food and they get the best food I can afford yet they're all getting so skinny. I feel awful. Crying or Very sad

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Val,
did you all not just move? could be stress making them lose weight....
your not a bad momma you are the BEST!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks Jenn. We moved 4 months ago and everyone settled in well after the first month so I didn't think it was stress related. I know they all normally lose weight in the winter due to the cold but it's never been anything like this amount of weight. I started feeding more food back in November to compensate for the extra calories burned due to the cold but this amount of weight loss is concerning when you consider they are eating almost triple their normal amount of food. Currently I am feeding 4 meals a day (3 small and 1 large) and they are still losing weight.

FWIW, I feed The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw plus raw, canned food, cooked meat, a little bit of kibble to boost calories. That doesn't even include treats like Ziwipeak, Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw patties, dehydrated fish, chicken and duck. Seriously, what is so concerning is the sheer amount of food they are eating while still losing weight. It's almost unbelievable. confused

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in...   the weigh in - Weigh in... - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Weigh in...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next