It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyThu Jun 13, 2024 11:28 am

@lostmaniac Weird weather ... well, it depends on what you wanna call "weird" ... 95 plus for the better part of the last month.  (( Mostly over 100 but enough in the 90+ that I have to reconsider my "high" ))
It looks like he monsoon season this year is gonna look a lot like last year - non-existent - and if that's the case then I (and a lot of others) may consider looking else where ... too hot with no water, that really doesn't work.

VA - there get to be times where I just feel like saying "The hell with it all!"  I had blood work two months ago with no major problems.  Due to the distance to the nearest VA facility, the VA had me go to another PC who redid blood work and I now have Kidney problems (Stage 3b failure), an overactive thyroid (known about for 50 years but hasn't been a problem) and Hep C to which I can only say "What the hell??"  I'm going beck to revisit these but he'd better come up with something better than "I think ... " or I'll reconsider the distance to the VA clinic.

It's really too early ( at 10:30 ) to 'crash' but we're at 86° with 50% humidity - it's hot and muggy and this isn't Texas weather!! If it's gonna be this humid, how about a little rain, PLEASE!!!!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyThu Jun 13, 2024 1:38 pm

Our high today is 81 but im in monte vista so jerry can get a tooth pulled and its already 80 here. Usually we dont see temps like this until August after the nonsoon.

If it gets too hot ill go swimming. My neighbor down the road has a tube with a built in cooler. He ties it to a tree and just sits there when it gets above 80. Its not too bad of an idea if you like beer i guess.

Is it just here or why is goat meat so hard to find. When i was in md they always had it sitting next to the lamb and both normal and asian grocery stores. But i live in a mostly Hispanic area and when i ask about goat meat i get funny looks. It makes me wonder if ive missed something culturally.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyThu Jun 13, 2024 2:59 pm

82⁰ here but low humidity. Ami seeeks shade. I'm washing outdoor metal furniture, trying to get salary off.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySat Jun 15, 2024 12:12 am

@aljones -been thinking about your labs. Darned on me (in the middle of the friggin' night, trying to fall asleep🙄) Anyway, have you been taking a lot of Ibuprofen/Advil for your hip/femur break? Known to cause both acute and chronic kidney disease. If you have, stop the Ibuprofen, see if your kidney function returns. I can't take any of the NSAIDs because it causes peripheral edema. Which sort of suggests a kidney connection. First thing I'd do is repeat the blood work. And get a copy of all your lab results for the past several years, wondering if VA had been overlooking earning signs. Also - the BS may not have been testing for Hep C. It's currently recommended that PC docs ask their baby boomer patients if the want to be tested, apparently, our cohort has a lot of hidden hep C.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySat Jun 15, 2024 12:26 am

Mine are almost always off last time it was very off. Also the hospital lost my labs so i gave them a copy that i had from a yr ago that had extra stuff then normal and my vit d was critical low.

Yeah ibuprofen is bad so is naproxon and topical anti-inflammatory stuff.

@amymeme the va said the same thing about hep c testing to jerry
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySat Jun 15, 2024 12:13 pm

Mother nature is still not done messing with me. Extended forecast. High 80s, low 90s, all sorts of hype about heat wave. Good. Sweet potato slips arrived yesterday. And I bought 3 bronze orange canna cannova plants to go in the middle of them. But it seems our heart wave is preceded by a cold front with a high today of only 68⁰ and overnight low forecast in low 40s. Guess my heat lovers will stay in house tonight.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySat Jun 15, 2024 7:32 pm

@amymeme While I buy acetaminophen 200 at a time (for cost) I seldom take them but do for headaches; I'm more apt to use Aleve for joint pain or for bursitis - but more than a couple a month is rare. I don't do drugs .... Smile
TSH was very low so T4 was correspondingly high. It was treated in the 90's by irradiation and ignored from that point.
Vit D - oh, my god, it's high ... well, it doesn't take much time in the sun here to take D to a high point.

My biggest problem is that I'd prefer to have the VA work on me ... in general I have less problems with the VA than with community caregivers ... but the community is 80 miles away and VA is closer to 300 and I'll be damned if I'm gonna go 300 miles just to have someone draw blood!

ARGH!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySat Jun 15, 2024 8:50 pm

Welp. You're in a pickle, Al. I guess the first thing to do is repeat the bloodwork to see if it's accurate. I'm no doctor but it doors seen to me that a couple sleeve a month would damage your kidneys. And I believe acetaminophen is more a problem for your liver than kidney but I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySun Jun 16, 2024 1:43 am

Yeah we prefer the va also. And the local clinic can only do so much. Its got telehealth and a np. Otherwise its pueblo denver or colorado springs. All far. Clinic is still 52 miles 1 way so i feel you.

Crazy how grow lights qork for vit d. First year i didnt do plants first year of this vit d problem.

@amymeme so today it snowed here. Not actually unusual but not common. but never following a heat wave.

Spider broke into the tote bin i have dog food in and ate 2 lbs of freezedried food and who knows how much of the boys dry food. That was a whole week of squirts food. Its one of those day i hope she takes after her wolfy side and doesnt get sick or keep me up all night needing out. Or worse shitting on the floor.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyTue Jun 18, 2024 2:26 pm

I had to put baby locks on the bins of dog food because Kasper could figure out how to get in them.

Senior
Senior
aljones

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyWed Jun 19, 2024 11:08 am

I don't understand this ... I haven't had a dog in a long time who 'invaded' the food bag.  

Even the new little monster only got 'yelled at' one time and decided that grabbing a mouthful wasn't a good deal (tweren't me, avalanche 'yelled' at him)

ETA 06/20:
@amymeme sending you a pm if you don't mind.

And some newby by the name of Alberto was promising to leave me some stuff but so far all I'm seeing is a lower temp (Thank you for that) and enough fog that it looks like someone stole my mountains. (Alberto is the tropical storm that went into Mexico and since low centers have most of their activity to the north, we really expected to get something (and a lot of something would be nice)

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySat Jun 22, 2024 11:30 am

I'm not sure if I did this before but the Wisdom Panel results are in for Belle (and have been for Avalanche for a long time)

Belle: https://www.wisdompanel.com/app/s/tfb075v
Avalanche: https://www.wisdompanel.com/app/s/s2r9nc7

What I find interesting is there's such a preponderance of northern dogs down here - or is that all over?

Not enough rain out of Alberto to count. Added a few inches to my tanks but not a whole lot.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySun Jun 23, 2024 1:54 pm

If you mean northern dogs in shelters, it's everywhere. People like the looked than find they can't handle the energy and sass.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySun Jun 23, 2024 1:59 pm

Al - do not see a PM, don't mind at all. I may be slow responding, have a whopper double whammy of bad knee exacerbation along with my stenosis acting up, and possible expanding and/or disc problem developing.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySun Jun 23, 2024 4:27 pm

@amymeme I killed the PM when I realized that the doctor was prescribing medicine for HYPOthyroid condition when what I have is HYPER ... how can I say that I'm not impressed. Called him on it and his response was "oops, I made a mistake, you're right." Glad he's not a surgeon!

I've actually gotten a small handful of strawberries from the pot this year and a half dozen tomatoes from the plant that's potted. The figs came on great and then dropped (literally) because of the heat.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptySun Jun 23, 2024 6:32 pm

I wish I had some veggies etc growing. I have all sorry of stuff that need planting but first it was just easy to cold at night than my knee acted up big time. So my activity has been truncated pronto. The bakers cyst had been leaking and my lower leg comes and goes as far as piano leg imitation. At this point, I'm probably resigned to a steroid injection in my knee to hopefully get me through the summer and then, most likely knee replacement. I cannot continue like this - the inactivity will kill me quicker than anything. I can't take NSAIDS and acetaminophen only goes so far. Yesterday was particularly bad, hubby was out and about for errands and I did something resulting in being confined to sitting. Son and granddaughter were over for swimming and hobbling with a walking pole up to the pool was the best I could do. And I was miserable trying to sleep, hubby than said he picked you some CBD to see if that might help, supposedly has some anti-inflammatory properties (I also had to stop the turmeric when we found out it can cause ulcers, I've been on high doses of famotidine for 2 months ago for severe burning in lower esophagus/stomach when I swallow food). I took half a CBD gummy. Oi wasn't impressed with the pain relief, still had to take acetaminophen but for the first time in months I slept for a good 8 hours. Usually I wake up in pain after about 5 hours. But relief that puts me to sleep during the day really isn't helpful as far as getting to do things!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyMon Jun 24, 2024 12:10 pm

Still getting some straggling broccoli. Cucumbers are covered in baby cucs but not large enough to do anything yet. Need to pull the garlic and the winter onions. Tomatoes are starting to turn. Squash have begun putting on. Peas are finished but I'm going to start fall sprouts inside sometime coming up. I need to get more bush beans in. Going to put those where the onions are when I pull them out. I didn't get as much in this year as intended. Like normal the newer section of garden didn't get finished this spring again so another year of it sitting fallow. I should have gotten more sunflowers in while we were still getting rain. Now it's going to be hard to get anything new up because I'm terrible about watering a lot and it's just too hot. Need to update scrapbook.

Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyMon Jun 24, 2024 5:20 pm

@aljones It's always so cool to see dog stats such as that!

Now to go sorta on theme with this thread, it's currently 94 degrees..but with the humidity boost it feels like 104 as the stats say. I see 96 waiting for us on Thursday. At my current job, sometimes we have to do some yard work, but we get it done before noon. It's the toughest part of my job, but that only happens once a week or so.

Speaking about veggies/healthy stuff. I didn't understand onions and peppers until my 20's, nowadays sometimes I ask for extra of that stuff on foods. Especially when grilled or caramelized. On the fruit side, since January, I've been having a banana every day. I eat one on my drive to work every morning. I set that into place to avoid snacking on chips or eating something without being hungry. I'm never hungry in the morning, but I welcome a little snack. A banana is the perfect solution.

I have no experience with CBD, but have only ever heard great things! It just came to mind that I gave Mylo CBD oil for quite some time before we went the levetiracetam tablet route.

On the topic of sleep, I typically sleep 6 hours. Usually I end up falling asleep after 11:30pm. Sometimes I try to stay up later, but I fail cause my body just shuts down lol. My eyes just naturally open at around 6:40-7am. It's just how it always happens. It works out great cause my typical work schedule is 8am-5pm. It's superrr tough for me to get up before 6am, it's so unnatural for me.

I just felt like yapping today! Enjoying a day off.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyMon Jun 24, 2024 10:23 pm

My eyes open naturally most days lately in response to the madly, happily woo woo wooing of a tail wagging husky somewhere between 7 and 8, this morning an unheard of 6:47 AM. He had his breakfast than out he went, and, after business completed, sacked out under the rhododendron. Seeing him settled, I promptly headed back to bed and got the rest of my sleep!!!

Son 2 came over this afternoon, granddaughter needed a camp physical and get pediatricians office is closed for 2 weeks. I'm walking much better today (as long as I take short, slow steps) and asked son if he noticed the difference. Answer? "Yes, now I can time you with my watch instead of a sun dial" 🙄

Scheduled appt with ortho. He had already recommended a cortisone injection short term but long term, knee replacement, but I wasn't ready to that route yet. At this point, my life is severely limited and I'm not happy about it. Laundry is piling up. I have seedlings needing transplant. A dog that gets almost no walking (he does get free run off 5 acres). Oops. Just remembered - I need to add chlorine to the pool. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyTue Jun 25, 2024 10:05 am

@davecerv if you ever find a theme to this thread then someone's made a serious mistake!! I suppose the theme for the forum is supposed to generally be Sibes but with so few of us still wandering through, I think it's more a case of friends chattering.

@amymeme I have to bring a friend back from Alpine when he drops his truck off and we're supposed to be there by 10:AM so I'm trying to wake up and get started and get dogs into place since they're going to be crated for the early part of the day. 1.5 hrs up / 1 - 2 hrs shopping / 1.5 hrs back ... they're gonna be ready to get out and run a bit when I get home. Interesting note, Belle responds much better than the other two, even considering her makeup. I don't expect anything with 35% Sibe to respond to "Come!" but she's pretty good about it. What I do find interesting is that she'll bark when she wants something, then it's a case of "Okay, what the blazes (or other) do you want???"

@Twisterii I thought you were talking about one of the dogs! << ducking >> While I'll gladly share your good news, I'll save my congratulations till after the fact ... How does hubbs sfeel about being outvoted by a female population?

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyTue Jun 25, 2024 10:11 am

I do believe this is early for you, Al? Have a good trip. And a good cup of coffee or 3 or 4.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyTue Jun 25, 2024 1:33 pm

Hubs has been in the depths of the female populace for years. All 3 of our cats are females. We've been a 5 to 3 household for several years.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 1:49 am

@amymeme cbd actually a wonder molecule but most people have a similar reaction you had. Several potential reasons it didnt work.. a, its unregulated so unless you have a licensed dispensary to get it from it might have less or no cbd. B, doesnt work as well on empty stomach eat something with fat because its fat not water soluble. C the dose isnt nearly high enough most of the time and d, topical is much more effective then gummies. Try a higher dose like 50mg to 200mg for pain if its a gummy. And if you can find it try something that is 1:1:? First 1 is thc second 1 is cbd and ? Is for cbn. Topically that wont get you high. Lately i have been dumping a thc/cbd/cbn tincture into a bottle of icy hot with lidocaine because they were out of the my brother's flower super salve i usually buy. But not sure what is actually available in ny.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 2:25 am

This was purchased from a licensed dispensary in NY. I'm not thrilled with it - hubby said it wouldn't make me high but it does have 5 mg THC. I took only half but when I did a conservative half life of 24 hours, if I took it daily I'd still be running just shy of 5 mg on board. I don't want to jeopardize my driving!  After stopping for a day, I do believe I got some pain relief. Particularly the neuropathic pain from the stenosis. But I'm gonna use the cbd only for when I'm really, really miserable and need relief. I see Ortho tomorrow. Last time I saw him he offered steps injection, suspect that what will be on the table tomorrow. Not happy with that, either, but I'm not living the rest of my life on my butt in the kitchen!!!

Last edited by amymeme on Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 2:30 am

I would try a really strong topical. There is no getting high from a transdermal. Warning about gummies with cbn, cbn in a gummy can leave you waking up with a pot hangover
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Desert Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next