It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Behavior Change

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Behavior Change Empty
PostSubject: Behavior Change   Behavior Change EmptyThu Feb 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Bodhi is seven and a half.
I've had him since he was one and a half.
He's been going to doggy day care for about four hours twice a week for the last four years with out problems.

Recently, they told me that he should stay home for awhile.
He had bitten another dog in the face and nipped at a human who had tried to correct his behavior.
They said he doesn't understand cues from other dogs who don't want to play and that someday this might cause a big fight.
Also, he gets into trouble when other dogs coma and go; there is a big scrum at the fence and he gets too excited.

Before you ask, his behavior at home is unchanged.
He is still enthusiastic and friendly with us, neighbors and their dogs.
His health is fine and we haven't changed his diet.

Ideas?

We really need this day care to work out when I can't be with him during the day or when we board him.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Behavior Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behavior Change   Behavior Change EmptyThu Feb 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Michael, I think if it were me, I'd get real insistent on "What really happened?"  

I can't picture a good natured dog - one who's been around the day care for more than a while - abruptly deciding to take a chunk out of a dog.  Questions *I'd* be asking would be along the lines of "Was it a new dog?" If Bodhi was getting insistent that he wanted to play, with an unfamiliar pup, I can picture him getting nipped by the new dog but not the reverse.
Who was the "handler" involved, someone new?  What did they do when they tried to "correct" his behaviour?  It's way too easy for someone to surprise a dog and - surprise - they get nipped or bit.  An experienced handler shouldn't have been in the position to get nipped by an "out of control" dog.  (Not saying he was, just their perception of his actions)

Not understanding cues - my Avalanche is a persistent cuss when it comes to wanting to play.  Seriously he'll instigate till the other dog responds with "I *said* no!" (and you know how they do that, right?)  Then he'll go off and find someone else - human or canine - to bug.  I'm afraid that my response to "someday this might cause a big fight" would have to be a sarcastic "Having two dogs in the same space might cause a big fight - so you're going out of business?"  but not until I was disgusted with a bunch of non-answers.

Relative to the scrum - I've boarded my various pups both here and in Houston.  Here the vet tech (I board with my vet) goes in back and gets my dogs - one at a time.  Simply to avoid the chaos of having all three come out into the waiting room at once.  When I boarded in Houston, the only time I ever saw the dogs at play - that wasn't through a window - was when I went to get them.  They had a "porch" separating the main play indoor area from the entrance area - it eliminated the possibility of having all the dogs run out at once.  I went in, on the porch, called my dog to me, leashed her and left.  If they've got a scrum at the door, they're doing something wrong.  Oh, in Houston when two or more of us showed up at once only one was allowed to get their dog at a time.  

Personally, it sounds like they need a little more organization there - not your problem.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Behavior Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behavior Change   Behavior Change EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 12:06 am

I agree with al. I would want to understand the environment better. Chances are it is what has changed, not bodhi. That said, it might be good if you have a friend with dogs who could dog sit for a day and see if bodhi isn't having some kind of separation anxiety that is showing itself when you're away.

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Behavior Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behavior Change   Behavior Change EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 1:09 am

He does have some separation anxiety when I leave the house- pacing, searching for me.
I've taken to sneaking out the back door.

But that's not the case at day care.
He is super eager to get inside and won't even say good-bye to me then.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Behavior Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behavior Change   Behavior Change EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 2:16 am

I agree with Al. I've only used day care twice. Two different ones. Both had strict procedures for leaving and entering, including id check, staff member getting the dog, an "airlock" analogous thing and only 1 dog at a time.:-)
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Behavior Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behavior Change   Behavior Change EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 2:37 am

They have that- inner sanctum, external iso cages, then customer area.
The dogs get all agitated when one goes from the inner sanctum to the iso cages.

On the way in, the dogs go crazy when a new dog is put in the iso cages.
Then after they quiet down and are used to the new dog, the new dog is released into the inner sanctum.

They asked me to think about bringing him from 10-3, after the work day starts when most dogs come, and before they go home. I'll try it, but it doesn't solve my problem when I need a whole day.
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

Behavior Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behavior Change   Behavior Change EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Not sure if this helps but the daycare I was taking Gabby to in MI was having issues with 2 of the other regular dogs (both smaller dogs than Gabby and I know she tends to pick on smaller dogs when she gets the chance). It was pretty consistent from what they had told me so what they did was separated Gabby from those 2 and let her play in smaller groups which had similar hyper dogs. Not sure on their setup there but maybe that is something you could ask they do to help you out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Behavior Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behavior Change   Behavior Change Empty

Back to top Go down

Behavior Change

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1