It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? Empty
PostSubject: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? ?bust=1449707373&width=632&no_scale_up=1
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm probably wrong but I'll go with sable. Whatever it is, it's beautiful!!! The eye make up though make his eyes look huge.

Hmm, on second thought, maybe wolf gray, lol
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 10:34 pm

i agree with Jimmy, very beautiful. looks wolf gray to me too.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 11:41 pm

I also would say wolf gray http://www.huskycolors.com/tj.html

I think sables tend to have more of the dark colors come into their face as well http://www.huskycolors.com/shadow.html
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 1:26 am

Hmmm, this one is kinda confusing! I looked at Rocio's links and color-wise the sable looks more like this husky in the pic, although the sable in the link does have more of a mask thing going on. The wolf grey looks more like my two can look in some pics. Where's huskymom? , LOLOL

The Malamute I used to have was Seal and White, which to me, I have always thought, is much like the husky sable, however he didnt have this coloring of the sable in the link...He didnt have the dark mask like in the link but his overall coloring was somehow darker, kinda like what rocio is saying. Ugh, how do I phrase this, hmm, ok, my malamute had more of the black and brown, but his white was very white, not like this tannish brown white the husky in the pic has. This tannish-brown white is what the sable in the link has and what the husky in the OP pic has.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 1:41 am

Look at this link:

http://hubpages.com/animals/Colors-of-Siberian-Huskies#PhotoSwipe1450410511278

This one was labeled "A Siberian exhibition a sable coat."

Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? 2234532_f260

This one "A wolf grey Siberian"

Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? 2234413_f260

Go figure confused

On a large screen, the guy I posted lookes to have a lot of red...

EDIT: Also - does his dark eye look parti colored to you guys? The upper left quadrant as you look at him looks a bit different than the rest of the eye, I think.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 1:48 am

I am going with sable. Haha, I am not all that great in the colors, but I agree with Jimmy, Miya, Kohdi, and Mishka, to me, are wolf grays, where as the sables will have more of the browns in them. Also, by the links Rocio put up, the sables have a red gene in them, that I don't expect in wolf grays. Kinda going off breed here,haha, but Sofie is listed as a sable, not the typical black and tan, because she has some brown in her, which is a hue of red. To me, sables, are a darker reddish brown coloring, with more of a cream and not white. Sofie has more of the cream vs white.

Amy the second set of pics you just put up, the first one sable looks more like the original you posted. The wolf gray one looks more like I said my Miya, Kohdi, Mishka, I prefer to call them silver, but the actual color name is wolf gray.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 1:51 am

Amy, yes, I do see the parti eye as well.

Do you know this beautiful husky?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 2:06 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
Amy, yes, I do see the parti eye as well.

Do you know this beautiful husky?

Nope...but is a rescue being offered, I emailed the pic to Wayne and he has kept it up on the computer for 3 days now...however, the fees seem a little steep. And, I want to be really sure a 2nd dog is reasonable for us. It really depends on how things go with Archer after the baby is born. With Jess not working, they won't need dog sitting any more. Last week, Ami was soooo forlorn not having his pal Sad

This one is advertised as timid, shy and submissive...found on the streets and rescued from high kill shelter. There's another a lot closer to us and probably a lot cheaper but he's almost 6 and has separation anxiety.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 2:23 am

His parti-eye is a lot like Kohdi's, hard to tell from the pic though cuz he's looking up so the blue part is rolled up into the top more, but I'd guestimate his eye looking a lot like Kohdi's, its even the same side, haha.

I dont see Leighanna so much anymore, but her husky I think had similar coloring and the parti-eye too, and she I think is a sable.

Last edited by Artic_Wind on Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 2:23 am

Amy, I can't tell you how different Miya is with Sofie here. She has always been a happy dog, but like you said about Ami, when Archer leaves, that forlorn look. It grabs at your heart. I know from reading your posts, Wayne doesn't want a 100% of the time dog, but maybe fostering would be a happy medium for all 3 of you. I wish you luck on this.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
Amy, I can't tell you how different Miya is with Sofie here. She has always been a happy dog, but like you said about Ami, when Archer leaves, that forlorn look. It grabs at your heart. I know from reading your posts, Wayne doesn't want a 100% of the time dog, but maybe fostering would be a happy medium for all 3 of you. I wish you luck on this.

Wayne adamantly refused the thought of fostering - "his worst nightmare - getting attached to a dog and then having to give it to someone else."  But, he has kept the picture of this dog up on his computer for the past three days - even asked me about him and remembered his name.  It really depends on what the kids plans are once the baby arrives...and Josh's job situation.  Right now, Josh travels for work - he's a field engineer and is away from home most of the time Sept through Dec and March through June with sporadic emergencies in the summer and the winter.  Jess was working evenings as a chef at a restaurant and now days at a Sushi bar.  But the belly is getting in the way and she's having increasing difficulty bending over and reaching the ingredients at the back of undercounter fridge area.  If she's home and Josh either finds something local with no travel or moves for a no travel job, we are out our "half time" pup.

Unfortunately, its unlikely this calico guy will stick around very long, especially in the Christmas season - the other one, an older light red with separation anxiety may.  The shelter will only let him go to someone who can keep him outside when people are not at home - the description of who they will adopt to really fits us.  I just am not thrilled with the idea of having half the dog's lifespan already gone.  But he's really pretty and has "nice karma" in his pic.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 12:17 pm

I would go with sable currently but since you said he is a rescue dog there is some chance that his color will change with good food. Keno was almost grey when I got him. Once he was on good food he went bald and then grew his hair back black and tan.

6 isn't that old. Kenzi is at least 6 (actually think she's closer to 7) and most people think she is 3. The life just comes into these dogs when you get them out of rough situations. And 6 is still young enough that dog will be able to keep up with Ami but is old enough it won't be full time chaos like with Archer. And having staggered ages is a good thing. If you got another one the same age as Ami then in 10 years you would have two senior dogs instead of one senior and one older adult.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 12:47 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I would go with sable currently but since you said he is a rescue dog there is some chance that his color will change with good food. Keno was almost grey when I got him. Once he was on good food he went bald and then grew his hair back black and tan.

6 isn't that old. Kenzi is at least 6 (actually think she's closer to 7) and most people think she is 3. The life just comes into these dogs when you get them out of rough situations. And 6 is still young enough that dog will be able to keep up with Ami but is old enough it won't be full time chaos like with Archer. And having staggered ages is a good thing. If you got another one the same age as Ami then in 10 years you would have two senior dogs instead of one senior and one older adult.

Hmmm, something to think about. The issue with the 6 yr old is separation anxiety - they are requiring that whoever adopts, has an outdoor kennel or similar arrangement for when dog is home alone. I'm guessing that this dog has destroyed the previous owner's house when left alone or maybe an apartment and howls continuously. Whichever, since we leave Ami and Archer on trolleys in a fenced backyard when we are not at home, I think a similar arrangement would work just fine with this one. Plus we are home much of the time. And, we found that having Archer close to Ami (without being close enough to tangle lines) keeps Archer much more settled - he doesn't whine and fuss and the hole digging is much less. We do have the room up there to accomodate another dog - it could be trolleys when just 2 and long tethers when its 3 if it comes to that...again, all depends on what happens after the baby is born - the $64K question is "will we be having Archer as much?"
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 2:00 pm

Kenzi had separation anxiety something terrible when we first got her and my mom recently adopted a dog from a rescue that was being really picky about a dog of theirs that had separation anxiety. They didn't like the setup my parents had (both work full time) but gave them a try anyway and that dog has been just fine. Sometimes I think rescues worry too much about certain behaviors and don't take into consideration the fact that the dog has been unearthed from what it knows. some rescues go so far with it they actually scare people off from adopting dogs which was the case of my mom's new dog. She had been around for a long time because the shelter had built up a gloom and doom air around this poor dog's separation anxiety and scared people away all over something that was really a temporary thing once the dog got settled. She now has a home and another dog and shows next to no signs of anxiety. Kenzi was the same way. She panicked a lot for the first couple months then routine set in and now she is fine. She couldn't care less when we leave.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 2:54 pm

This is Bandit - he's only 1.5 hours away...almost 6.

Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? ?bust=1450226869&width=632&no_scale_up=1
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Aw...he's got a happy face. I wouldn't hesitate about his age at all and it sounds like you guys really are what that rescue is looking for in his new home.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Amy, Bandit is adorable, he does have such a sweet, happy, young face about him. I agree with Jenn, he would make a nice companion to you all.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Oh wow Amy, both dogs are just gorgeous! Get both!!! LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?   Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sable or Wolf Gray...or something else?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1