It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Breed: Tamaskans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

Breed: Tamaskans Empty
PostSubject: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyFri May 22, 2009 1:42 am

Tamaskan Dog

Breed: Tamaskans Tamaskan

Country of origin Finland

The Tamaskan dog is a breed of domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) originating from Finland known to excel in agility, obedience and working trials, along with its ability to pull sleds due to its Husky and Malamute ancestors. Morphologically, it is the most wolf-like dog with no recent wolf ancestry. A slowly increasing interest in the breed has resulted in the importation of Tamaskans in continental Europe, the UK and the USA, largely due to the efforts of The Tamaskan Register, the official registering body.[1] The Tamaskan Dog is not to be confused with the Tamaskan Wolfdog which is not a pure breed of dog but a collection of crossbreeds with a similar look.

Tamaskans are large dogs, being slightly taller in size than German Shepherds. Adults typically measure 24-28 inches (61-71 cm) tall at the shoulder and weigh up to 95 pounds. Tamaskans have a lupine appearance with a straight bushy tail and thick coat which comes in three main colours; red grey, black grey and wolf grey. The eyes are yellow through amber and brown, with light coloured eyes being very rare. Blue eyes are unacceptable [1]

Unlike most true wolfdogs, Tamaskans are considered ideal family dogs, as they are tolerant toward other dogs and small children. Tamaskans are highly intelligent and some have been known to excel in agility and obedience training, as well as sled racing. They are highly social, and typically do not cope well without the company of people or other dogs. A tamaskan left alone for long periods of time may develop destructive behaviour or try to escape its home.[1] Unlike some of their husky ancestors the Tamaskan Dog responds well off the lead and with a small amount of training and perhaps some treats or biscuits they will usually return when called.

Despite originating from ancestors suffering from hip dysplasia, no known health issues have yet arisen. The Tamaskan Register insists that all breeding stock be scored before mating and so far, Tamaskans have kept a breed average of 8.2.[1] Tamaskans have an average lifespan of 14-15 years.[1]

The first generation of Tamaskan to be registered were born in 2002, bred by the two main founders (Blustag & Blufawn Kennels) of the breed. Since that time the founders have continued to search for wolfy looking dogs to improve the breed. The last foundation dog was added to the breed in 2006, when the doors were closed on any new bloodlines. The breeds used include the Northern Inuit, Utonagan, Siberian Husky and Finnish racing huskies (which consist of unregistered huskies and husky crosses bred for competitive sled racing in Lapland). Each dog was carefully selected for its appearance, intelligence, temperament and health.
The first Tamaskan to be imported into America arrived in 2005 and they had their first litter in 2007. Since that time the Tamaskans popularity has grown and there are now six registered breeders across America.
The country of origin is difficult to determine, Tamaskan were bred in Finland, Britain and America before the bloodlines were closed in 2006 which could mean that all three are the countries of origin. Currently no country has accepted the Tamaskan as a registered breed, although it is believed the Tamaskan may soon be recognized by the FSS, as well as recognition through other Clubs.
The Tamaskan Dog Register, created by the founders, is still the official Governing Body for all Tamaskan dogs throughout the world, maintaining the pedigree and health records for all authentic Tamaskans. The Tamaskan Dog Society of Great Britain (TDSGB) and the National Tamaskan Club of America (NTCA), both affiliated to the TDR were also created in early 2006. The NTCA has published information regarding a counterfeit organization publicizing itself as the official North American registry of the Tamaskan. All supporters and individuals interested in the breed are being advised to avoid the Tamaskan Club of America and its owners, the RightPuppy Kennel and an imitation of the original Blustag Kennels (neither of which are recognized breeders by the Tamaskan Dog Register).[2]

References

^ a b c d e "Tamaskan Dog". Dogbreedinfo. June 2008. Retrieved on 2008-06-12.
^ "NCTA Breeders List". The National Tamaskan Club of America. 2007. Retrieved on 2009-02-08.
Animall Wellness Magazine 7447079635 Volume 10 Issue 1
Dogs Monthly - March 2009 Issue

Breed: Tamaskans Dtamaskan

Breed: Tamaskans Tamaskan_dog
Back to top Go down
thebest

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyFri May 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Those are stunning !
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyFri May 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Agreed! I've never heard of them, but now I totally want one!
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyFri May 22, 2009 3:27 pm

Ummmm... yeah. I feel that I NEED one.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Ruger
Releaser Pheromone
Ruger

Male Join date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptySat May 23, 2009 6:33 pm

dang never heard of them, but they are really good looking wolfdogs.
Back to top Go down
Catherine
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyFri May 29, 2009 4:26 am

OMG they are gorgeous - never seen them before
Back to top Go down
Dimps11
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 5:43 pm

So beautiful. I recently saw an episode of dog whisperer with wolf hybrids. They're stunning creatures
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rudukai13
Resident Teenager
rudukai13

Male Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 1:30 am

Those are pretty cool. And it looks like it likes swimming!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Gorgeous pics. I am familiar with the breed having researched them before but I love seeing pics of them, such beautiful dogs.

Newborn
Newborn
TheZ

Male Join date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 4:40 pm

So I ran into a Tamaskan at the park today. What a gorgeous yet odd dog. I suggest you guys should see one of these in person. They look like short wolf-hybrid huskies with the attitude of a labrador. Hillarious.
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 5:18 pm

TheZ wrote:
So I ran into a Tamaskan at the park today. What a gorgeous yet odd dog. I suggest you guys should see one of these in person. They look like short wolf-hybrid huskies with the attitude of a labrador. Hillarious.

Really? So describe it compared to a husky (in regards to appearance).

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
rudukai13
Resident Teenager
rudukai13

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm more interested in the size of the things. Those shoulder measurements never mean jack to me. Is it larger than a Labrador? Smaller?
Back to top Go down
TheZ
Newborn
Newborn
TheZ

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 9:47 pm

It looks nothing like a purebred husky. If you are familiar with Alaskan Malamute wolf-hybrids it more closely resembles them in color and appearance. The one I had seen was in fact a Tamaskan wolf-hybrid but according to the owner had very little wolf in it. It looked almost exactly like the bottom most picture in the original post but has longer hair. Its mannerisms were very labrador-ish. She was only seven months old so I cannot give an accurate measure of its adult measurements. She had short legs...as long as Zephyr's legs and he is 3 months old.

She has started coming to the dog park more often...I will snap a picture next time.
Back to top Go down
rudukai13
Resident Teenager
rudukai13

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 pm

Pictures would be great!
Back to top Go down
TheZ
Newborn
Newborn
TheZ

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 10:52 pm

She hasn't come back when I am around yet. Darn!
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 am

WOW those are really cool looking
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

Female Join date : 2013-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 am

there is also a wolf look alike breed that originated in the UK, called Northern Inuit dog ( even though i has nothing to do with the inuit, also, they are a mix of malamutes, sibes, and german sheps.) so there is no actual wolf in them.From the wiki there temperament seems husky like, and a little less energy from breeding sites I've heard they can be protective, which isn't really typical husky trait by the book. But all I am sure of is that I am saving up so I can evenutally get one .
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 am

There is a Czech wolfdog that looks more like the husky like the N Inuit but they have the wolf coloring and husky mentality. Both breeds are beautiful and a european thing that is moving into the states. I like the wolf look. Would proabably get the comment hi is dangerous Im scaed more often that with the husky!

counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:15 pm

As far as I know, most, if not all, Tamaskans have wolf in them. I've done a lot of research into the breed and its offshoots, and have been in touch with Conchur Tamaskans (Beaverton, OR), one of the few US breeders. At some point, wolves were added to the breeding without many people knowing, and this caused a split among the breeders. The breed prided itself on its motto: "wolfdog without the wolf!" But now they actually have wolf in them, so it kinda defeats the purpose. O well, they're still beautiful. I'm trying to arrange a meeting with Conchur to meet their dogs and learn more about them in person. Because the breed is so new and still very rare in the US, they are very expensive. I don't think I'd ever be able to afford one, other than a rescue.
Back to top Go down
Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 pm

I really like the wolf look of these, but could never own one. We have issues with people shooting huskies because they look wolf-like, one of those wouldn't last at all around here.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Oh I never really think of the shooting part as I live in the suburbs and the major farms out here are more crops or fields. Guess it would be a problem in Wyoming.

So are your three constantly in a bright colored leash harness just incase they get away? (so nobody would think a wolf had a red harness on)

Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Collars with tags always. The only time mine are in harness is when they are pulling. I've taken them and pictures of them around to all the neighbors so they all know what they look like. When we are in the mountains they wear a bright red hankerchief.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm

I never thought about the handkerchief. Shaqua has worn them before, but just to dress up. Smart idea!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Yah mine always were collars and tags just in case and it is that much more of a just in case in your situation but good call on the handkerchief.
Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breed: Tamaskans   Breed: Tamaskans Empty

Back to top Go down

Breed: Tamaskans

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next