It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Retired Sled Dog Adoption

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AshtonHellwig
Newborn
Newborn
AshtonHellwig

Male Join date : 2013-07-10

Retired Sled Dog Adoption Empty
PostSubject: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Hello all,
I was originally thinking about getting two litter mates to begin my sled dog team. In my Introduction Thread, I was told it may be easier to get an older sled dog and a puppy than trying to train two crazy puppies to obey myself as a pack leader. I was looking at Northern Lights Sled Dog Rescue for a retired sled dog to help me with training a younger puppy. Are there any thoughts on what to do with adopting two dogs? What age should the older dog be? Does gender make a difference? Should (s)he be intact or spayed/neutered? Thank you!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Hairy Houdini Siberian Rescue in Ohio just seized some 30 dogs and they are looking for fosters and homes - you can check their facebook page.

They all came from a racing kennel.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 4:53 pm

If you would interested I'm sure some people can schedule a transport - let me know what you decide!
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Oh wow! How did they get soo many? Also, do you know if they know what the temperaments of the dogs are? Our Nova is a bit of an Alpha so we would have to look for a female or a submissive male.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 10:08 pm

There are many different dogs and they will gladly help you. Smile

They seized an entire kennel.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 10:25 pm

If Nova is dominant, honestly I would look for a male. Every female Husky I've been around that lives with other dogs is more dominant then the boys. My girl Zoey is dominant over both of my boys, and they bow down to her lol
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Jasper is definetly submissive to Bella here. She will harass him something feirce and he will just take it and she has to have everything first but be crated last or she yells at me but Jas doesnt seem to care. When it comes to other dogs she is submissive rolled straight to her back when she met my bosses dog but poor Jasper just gets the shit end of the stick from her. Only two times he hasnt been submissive was when Bella bitch that she can be attacked him. She came out bloody both times and he just had a scrape. From what I've seen with these two I would go for a male also, that being said I want another girl! If only I had the room and money.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 1:47 am

Welcome, its late I'm on my phone so sorry if its short. I'm on the board for north star siberian husky rescue her in CO. Every now and again we do get in retired sled dogs. There is also a mushers club and a sled kennel in breckinridge that have come to some of our events, if you can try googling that, I may be busy at work tomorrow as I have been all week a will be camping all weekend but I would love to help you out. Adopting would be the best thing, that way you can get right into learning and have a dog that has a clue what to do. If u got a pup you would have a whole yr+ weait till you could even start training them. What brings you out to CO?

Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 4:26 am

This is Will, Monique made the previous post. Honestly if we could find a dog that would work with Nova we would gladly think about taking one from the group in, to help/save.He has a great temperment but is a bit alpha as she said, and he is also an intact male. So it might be difficult to pair. I would be willing to drive with Nova to see if any would get along. We have been thinking about finding Nova a friend for a while. If you all could provide the information of the rescue and the information of how they came to come upon the litter/lot of husky, we would be happy to help if we can. But i would like more info. Please link the rescue and any information possible please.
Thank you,
Will
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:06 am

Heads up, most rescues will not adopt a dog out to someone that has an intact dog.
Back to top Go down
AshtonHellwig
Newborn
Newborn
AshtonHellwig

Male Join date : 2013-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:59 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Heads up, most rescues will not adopt a dog out to someone that has an intact dog.
The rescue I spoke to (Or it might have been a breeder) only gives away his dogs intact and says it's better for sled dogs to be intact and he sees no reason for them to be spayed/neutered. However, he does require you to sign a contract stating you wont breed them. Is that unusual?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retired Sled Dog Adoption   Retired Sled Dog Adoption Empty

Back to top Go down

Retired Sled Dog Adoption

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1